Friday, September 29, 2017

My Top Board Games for October


Fall is here and it's one of my favorite times of the year. Why? Because of board games, of course!

Now, I know that every day of the year is the perfect time to play a board game—there's no doubt about that—but any excuse to stay indoors, especially for the weather as it starts to cool down, is just another reason to play (and I'm always looking for those opportunities).

Today, I'm sharing a few board games that I love to play around Halloween. Grab one, or all three, and join me in celebration of this exciting holiday. While there are many games that I would love to add to this list, I thought it'd be best to focus on the ones that I usually play the most this time of year.

Broom Service




This game is for 2 to 5 players ages 10 and up, and lasts anywhere from 30 to 75 minutes. When I bought Broom Service, I was told that I should only play on the advanced side of the board. Let me tell you this: I am so glad that I did. My wife and I love this game so much! It plays fast, a lot is going on, and this game really encourages players to strategize. Of course, with all the sabotaging capable in this game, it can get annoying; I do understand why some people don't like this game. As for me, it's one of my all-time favorites. I'd definitely play this game any day out of the year, but Halloween just fits it's theme so perfectly that I had to add it to this list.

Potion Explosion




Potion Explosion is another no-brainer when I think of Halloween board games. The idea of witches brewing potions and then drinking them to use special abilities is a fun theme that I absolutely love. Perfect for anyone 8 years old and older, this 30- to 60-minute game offers a lot, including a striking marble dispenser.

Mysterium




If Clue and Dixit had a baby, this would be it. Here's the description from Board Game Geek: "In the 1920s, Mr. MacDowell, a gifted astrologist, immediately detected a supernatural being upon entering his new house in Scotland. He gathered eminent mediums of his time for an extraordinary séance, and they have seven hours to contact the ghost and investigate any clues that it can provide to unlock an old mystery.

"Unable to talk, the amnesic ghost communicates with the mediums through visions, which are represented in the game by illustrated cards. The mediums must decipher the images to help the ghost remember how he was murdered: Who did the crime? Where did it take place? Which weapon caused the death? The more the mediums cooperate and guess well, the easier it is to catch the right culprit."

Mysterium is perfect for Halloween parties and those evenings with a group of close friends. With a count of 2 to 7 players, an average 42-minute playing time, and a murder that's just begging to be solved, Mysterium is a perfect game to play in October (and every month).

A few more favorites



What games do you enjoy playing the closer we get to Halloween? Share in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy gaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment